Epidaurus was a small city in Ancient Greece, on the Argolid Peninsula at the Saronic Gulf. Two modern towns bear the name Epidavros: Palaia Epidavros and Nea Epidavros. Since 2010 they belong to the new municipality of Epidaurus, part of the regional unit of Argolis. It is close to the premises of Filoxenia and is recommended for a day excursion.
The Sanctuary of Asklepios at Epidaurus is a remarkable testament to the healing cults of the Ancient World and witness to the emergence of scientific medicine. The site is one of the most complete ancient Greek sanctuaries of Antiquity and is significant for its architectural brilliance and influence.
Situated in the Peloponnese, in the Regional unit of Argolis, the site comprises a series of ancient monuments spread over two terraces and surrounded by a preserved natural landscape. Among the monuments of the Sanctuary is the striking Theatre of Epidaurus, which is renowned for its perfect architectural proportions and exemplary acoustics. The Theatre, together with the Temples of Artemis and Asklepios, the Tholos, the Enkoimeterion and the Propylaia, comprise a coherent assembly of monuments that illustrate the significance and power of the healing gods of the Hellenic and Roman worlds.
The Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus is a theatre in the Greek city of Epidaurus, located on the southeast end of the sanctuary dedicated to the ancient Greek God of medicine, Asclepius. It is built on the west side of Cynortion Mountain, near modern Lygourio, and belongs to the Epidaurus Municipality. It is considered to be the most perfect ancient Greek theatre with regard to acoustics and aesthetics.
Performances stopped due to World War II. Theatrical performances, in the framework of the organized festival, began again in 1954. In 1955 they were established as an annual event for the presentation of ancient drama. The Epidaurus Festival continues today and is carried out during the summer months. Particularly, ancient drama plays take place every single year attracting a large number of Greek and foreign visitors. The first modern performance conducted at the theatre was Sophocles`s tragedy Electra and it was played in 1938, directed by Dimitris Rontiris
The theatre has been sporadically used to host major musical events. Worth to mention that the Greek soprano Maria Callas performed there Norma in 1960 and Medee` in 1961.
The monument retains the characteristic tripartite structure of a Hellenistic theatre that has an auditorium, orchestra and staging building.
Tips you need to know
from the International Port of Patras
from the Ski centre of Kalavrita
Free transportation from
and to the clinic
very close to many archaeological sites
This area is the best place for those who would like to combine relaxation and holidays:
ENJOY OUR SERVICES
ALL KIND DIALYZERS
All kind dialyzers
Our doctors with their deep expertise and the whole staff are willing to offer their best for a successful and safe dialysis.